Communities magazine is the primary resource for information, stories, and ideas about intentional communities—including urban co-ops, cohousing groups, ecovillages, and rural communes.
Communities also focuses on creating and enhancing community in the workplace, in nonprofit or activist organizations, and in neighborhoods.
We explore the joys and challenges of cooperation in its many dimensions, and pass the wisdom on to you and your community.
Readers: We need your support now more than ever. As we reported to our contributors and subscribers in mid-December, financial pressures have caused the FIC board to consider the possibility of shuttering the magazine. The response to our plea to our friends and readers for additional support has been strong, and has reaffirmed to us the value of the magazine within the communities movement. But we need additional support in order to regain firm financial ground, both for the magazine and the organization. There are many ways you can help us: through subscriptions, gift subscriptions, compilation and back issue orders, donations, advertising, issue sponsorships, bookstore orders, and memberships in the FIC. The drop-down menus above and links below give access to them. Thank you for anything you can do!
- Subscribe – receive Communities in print and digitally 4 times per year!
- Give a Gift Subscription – share Communities with a friend or organization.
- Back Issues – print and digital or digital only copies of over 40 years of the magazine.
- Advertise – reach our conscientious audience in display or classified ads.
- How to Help – how you can help Communities magazine to grow.
- Submit Content – contribute your articles, artwork, and photography.
- Communities Index – a complete index of all articles from 1972 to present.
- Communities Testimonials – what readers say about Communities.
Upcoming Communities magazine themes
Spring 2017, Issue #174: Communities and Climate Change
Summer 2017, Issue #175: Economics in Cooperative Culture
Fall 2017, Issue #176: Learning from Historical Communities