Vegetable Gardener for Rural Buddhist Center
- Community With Opening
Are you a gardener with an interest in Buddhism? Help wanted NOW!
Help maintain and develop 2 acres of organic mixed vegetable production. We are looking for someone (or two people) to take a major role in keeping our vegetable gardens going all year round. Our ideal candidate has the ability to work independently and is eager to engage the many demands of a busy productive environment.
This is a live-work-study opportunity for people with a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self knowledge and giving to a greater vision.
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- A living allowance of $150 per month
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
Living and working at Odiyan is a challenging live-work retreat lifestyle that integrates work with a path of self-knowledge. The community life, classes and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
About: Founded in 1975 by Venerable Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche, Odiyan Retreat Center is located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Northern California, north of San Francisco. Unlike most Buddhist centers, Odiyan is only open to people who want to live and work with us for at least six months.
- Minimum age of 24 years old
- Physically able to engage manual work including lifting up to 50-60 lbs, bending, kneeling, handling tools for hours every day.
- Minimum commitment is six months, with preference to those qualified and able to commit to at least three garden seasons. (9 months)
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug free community.
You do not need to be Buddhist although an interest in Buddhism is preferred.
You do need to be eager for a wholesome lifestyle of self-sufficiency, meaningful work, inner development, and taking responsibility.
We are looking for people with some experience in vegetable gardening or other horticultural experience.
For a more ‘inside’ view of Odiyan see us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.